Uber – a taxi app has recently shared an update on collecting information about the customer’s location even after the drop-offs and even when the customer is not using the app.
The Uber app in the updated version features to track the passenger’s location even after they left the vehicle after their journey. It is reported that the Uber app collects the traveler’s location data right from the trip request to five mins from the drop-off.
This process is performed in following conditions:
1. When the user is interacting with the Uber app and the app is forefront and visible.
2. When the user is on a trip, right from the time of the request to until the trip is completed or canceled by the driver.
3. If the Uber app is operated in the background by the user and not visible.
4. Track up to 5 minutes even after the driver ends the trip and if the Uber app is running in the background.
The company wrote as, “Uber collects your location data from the time of trip request through five minutes after the trip ends, including when the app is in the background. We do this to improve pickups, drop-offs, customer service, and to enhance safety”.
Still, the taxi app provides a choice for its user to maintain their privacy which lets the user not to share their data with the service.
Here is the procedure to turn off this feature on various devices:
1. Android Device: Settings->Apps->Uber->“Permission”->toggle “Location”
2. Android Lollipop (5.1) and earlier Devices: Settings->Location->toggle Off
3. iOS Device: Settings->Privacy->Location Services->Uber->Select “Never”
Many people have shown their anxiety about this change, as their concerns are to change the way of user control and also they have raised the question about Uber’s need to tracking customer even after post-ride.
- Planning to develop a taxi booking app? A few must have features
- Starting a Limousine business? Set down the tokens for success
- Existence of ride-hailing apps like Uber in the ethnic taxi industry
- Uber’s Simplified Business Model that Brought a Huge Impact in the Taxi Industry
- Significance of an Advanced Mobile App for the Taxi Industry in 2017